ecoACTIVE run many sessions which take place out of the classroom and encourage exploration of the outdoor environment. We can tailor-make sessions to match participant groups and site availabilities. INSET sessions for teachers are available in any of the topic areas.
Please do contact us to discuss what we can offer your school or community group.
The following sessions are FREE to those within the London Borough of Hackney due to generous funding from LBH Waste & Recycling Department, and are offered at a cost to those outside the Borough: £170 halfday, £340 fullday.
- Composting: involves setting up compost bins, wormeries or Ridan hot composting systems. We will bring along our Tiger worms for you to meet, play fun educational ‘compost cycle’ games, or use your own compost for planting and growing food.
- Litter Picks: children love to take responsibility for tidying up their local park or school grounds through using our special litter-picking equipment. Additional activities may include Litter Bug team games, craft activities that reuse litter, or investigating recycling and material properties.
- Map Your Neighbourhood: pupils learn how they can improve the quality of their local environment by investigating their route to school. Pupils go on a local neighbourhood walk, taking photographic evidence of positive and negative aspects, before recording their findings on a map of the local area.
- Events: invite ecoACTIVE to your school fair or community event, and we will run our popular stall manned by our friendly staff. Choose from either our composting or recycling activities to engage the whole family.
The following sessions are offered at a cost of £170 halfday, £340 fullday:
- Biodiversity & Wildlife: using school grounds, local parks or nature reserves as an outdoor classroom. Activities can involve: mini-beast hunts, habitat creation, species identification, life cycles, planting for wildlife, air pollution indicators, or investigating human impacts on our environment.
- Forest School: if you would like to try a Forest School session our qualified staff can offer taster sessions for your group, staff or pupils. Alternatively, we can use Forest School inspired techniques to help engage children in local parks or school grounds.
- Outdoor Grounds Work and Planting: working within your school or site grounds, or in your local park or green-space, we can involve families and the local community in enhancing your outdoor area for the benefit of people and wildlife.
ecoACTIVE works with a wide variety of schools and community groups in Hackney and surrounding areas. We recognise the vast benefits that outdoor learning can have, and supported the new initiative of Empty Classroom Day on Friday 6th July 2012: http://projectdirt.com/group/the-empty-classroom/page/signup.
There is much online information about the benefits of learning outside, such as this website which has links to relevant research: http://www.growingschools.org.uk/Support/makingthecase.asp.
Please do contact us to discuss your requirements.
examples of ecoACTIVE’s work with schools
- Powerful Plastics
Visit our plastics page to see what London schools are doing to help solve the problems with plastic.
with children and schools
- Eco Schools & Green Teams
Jubilee Eco-Warriors and becoming an eco-school at City Academy
- Energy & Climate Change
Find out about Energy and Climate Change, and the actions local communities are taking to save waste and save money.
- Outdoor Learning
find out about ecoACTIVE’S work out of the classroom
- Waste & Recycling
Hackney Green Champions, recycling at Linden Children’s Centre and creating a waste action plan at Morningside school
- Waste Reduction
Watch your Waste Project & schools discussion space
- back to schools main page
- Powerful Plastics